Saturday 22 November 2014

The Fox's Reward Act 2 Scene 1

Vulpes returns with the cloth.


ACT TWO SCENE ONE

The same. Vulpes crossing back to his house

Vulpes
His money, money! Oh, his sainted money!
Forever rings his tiresome chatter like
Some pompous parrot in a gilded cage.
The twisted, black-souled enemy of man
Take him and all his false, greed-gotten gains!
(with a laugh)
As if I'd any coins to bless my name.
So short of money is he? Times are hard?
What gabbling rubbish! Times aren't tough for him.
The dull-eyed, thin-faced ghost of poverty
Has not been sitting at his table. No,
My plump and purse-proud friend, if you arrive
To sponge on our sparse victuals you'll leave
A very hungry guest. Ah, Marguerite,
I have returned. About those honest-worn
And wholly hole-blessed clothes of ours...
(Marguerite enters and Vulpes hides the cloth behind his back)

Marguerite
Oh, yes.
And what wild weavings have you schemed for them?
Vulpes
I merely thought, my dear, you might be moved
To take a sharing in my shopping raid.
How's this for fine and useful cloth?
(Vulpes produces the cloth)

Marguerite (feeling the cloth)
Most fine,
Most useful, as you say. But what poor fool
Was promptly parted from his property?
If I know you, you haven't paid a penny.

Vulpes
No, not a single hard-won coin of mine
Has gone to gain this splendid cloth.

Marguerite
So husband,
You sly, word-spinning, swindling prankster,
Who was the victim of your fluency?

Vulpes
Oh, just that Jasper. Tight-fisted fool he is.

Marguerite
What tricks and falsities have won his trust?
He's such a shifty and coin-counting crow.

Vulpes
I almost drowned him in delusive praise.
I told him of my friendship with his fine
And great-souled father, then remarked upon
The real resemblance that his aspect shows
To his most generous progenitor.
Jove knows though, really he's the ugliest rat
That fortune's shipwreck ever washed ashore.
"Ah, good friend, Jasper," then quoth I,
"How pater-paired in pattern, form and feature!"
Which is part true: his dearest father was
A rodent-faced rapscallion as well.
In short, I plied him with such flattery
And then dropped hints of interest in his cloth.
And in the end he almost pushed it on me.

Marguerite
Trust you to talk with double tongue. So when
Are we to reimburse?

Vulpes
To reimburse?
I'd pay the fiend's black entourage back first.

Marguerite
So like old Æsop's fabled, foolish crow
Your fox-sly flattery just made him drop
The tasty prize into your waiting paws?

Vulpes
And soon he will arrive to taste some fowl
To find himself the only goose around.
So when he starts to clamour for his fee
This is my present plan. I shall be abed
As if in life-endangering, fierce illness.
And when he raps upon my bolted door,
In greatest melancholy you must beg
Respectful silence for the nearly dead.
If he then claims a past propinquity…

Marguerite
More plainly put! For you are not defending
Yourself before a judge… at least, not yet.

Vulpes
That is, he says he saw me just this morning.

Marguerite
Yes, certain as star show brings glow of dawning,
He’s bound to claim so, boldly confident.

Vulpes
Then you must say: "He's been bed-bound for weeks."
To which he shouts: "A joke, a cunning hoax.
Don't try to blind me with your lying talk!"
To which, indignant, you reply: "Is this
The moment for your joking tales, the time
To exercise your jesting tongue!" Then I
Shall all at once appear and do the rest.

Marguerite (thoughtfully)
It reasons quite a reasonable result,
Providing we convince with false conviction,
And furthermore I do not like at all
That pompous draper’s cheating rule. So be it!
So I shall play my part with some perfection;
But if it sours and he drags us to court,
We'll really catch a whack of stinging trouble!

Vulpes
No, no. My plan's in perfect place! I know
The maddened measure of my masquerade!

Marguerite
In perfect place! Just like that Saturday
You spent last year in patient meditation
On your misdeeds behind hard, perfect bars.

Vulpes
            O that! A foolish matter that, no more.
A minor, brief misunderstanding, dear.
Indeed, a mere mistake! Back to this present!
Now he will soon be here to feast on air,
His eager palm outstretched for promised gold,
And we've no coins to greet his legal price.
I'll be in bed.

Marguerite
Then go, dear dying double-dealer.

Vulpes
Take care to curb all cackling cachinnation!


Marguerite
What's that in words?

Vulpes
Just see that you don't laugh.

Marguerite
No, I shall weep like sudden summer showers.

Vulpes
So sail on straight as if your course were true,
No stalling of your resolute intent.
The faintest puff of falsehood and we founder.
Remember he'll be certain it’s a trick!

Marguerite
Go on. You be the dead, I'll be the quick.
(Vulpes enters the bedroom by front as if a door. He hides the cloth
under the bed, then lies on the bed groaning and turning. Marguerite goes within and starts practising gentle sobbing)

No comments:

Post a Comment