Wednesday 26 November 2014

The Fox's Reward Act Two Scene Four

Jasper returns.

ACT TWO SCENE FOUR

The same Vulpes and Marguerite in bedroom. Marguerite still stifling laughter. Jasper crosses and approaches.

Jasper (returning)

That lawyer's head is full of windy schemes:
All waffle and weird nonsense. Does he think
That I am such a lightly hoodwinked fool?
I'll show that cheat he won't cheat me with ease,
For all the shabby tricks that he can muster.
He's hangman-ripe, the rotten heretic.
(Jasper knocks loudly on Vulpes' door)
Hey you! Hey, hey, come let me in!

Marguerite
Oh, no!
He's heard me laughing. Now he'll be aflame.

Vulpes
Don't drop your part before the critic's gaze.
I'll play delirious pretence upon
A broader stage and so convince the sceptic
Who wavers still between belief and doubt.
Go, open wide the door.

Marguerite (coming to the door)
Quiet, quiet, you hothead!
What's this unmindful racket you're creating?
Enough to fright a ghost from graveyard sleep,
Or summon all the demons of the deep.

Jasper (as she opens the ‘door’)
You laugh, you laugh, do you?

Marguerite
What! Are you mad?
Do you suppose I find amusement here?
I’ve nothing, no, no, nothing, nothing, nothing,
No, not a single thing, to laugh about.
By all the saints who guard celestial paths,
I'd sooner spin upon my sorry head.
My poor, poor dear has almost passed away!
Such raving, oh, such raging! Deliriums!
Mad singing! Such a flow of crazy scenes!
Trapped in delusions- caught in strangest dreams!
He gabbles half a dozen, senseless tongues
With wild and meaningless sincerity.
Indeed, I doubt he'll live another hour.
It's quite enough to make me weep and laugh
Together now.

Jasper (firmly)
Not one jot do I care!
It's less to me than babble at a fair.
For he can speak in every speech that springs
Beneath the sun, for all it bothers me.
I owe but one essential speech to give,
One thing to utter now while you both live-
You give me back my cloth or pay my fee!
(Vulpes enters looking dishevelled)

           Vulpes (wildly)

Stand for her Majesty! Salute and bow.
The Queen of Lutes! Sir, have you lost your lute?
I know she recently gave painful birth
To four and twenty bright lutettes. They are
All children of the cloth. Their father is
Good Jasper, the archbishop. That would mean
That I, good sir, must be their guardian.

Jasper (stepping back)
What rubbish is he gabbling now? Come on,
I wish for payment for my cloth you've taken.

Marguerite (to Jasper)
Is not the one mistake sufficiency?

Vulpes (singing and capering)
Oh payment, payment. Oh, how shall we pay
The Great Lord on that last and judgement day?
Oh, owing, owing. O heart, what shall we owe
When He from high looks down on us below?

Jasper
Dear lady...I must say...I don't suppose...
(suddenly growing angry)
No, no! I know what I have known today.
Come! Pay up or be hanged! Mistaken, eh?
What makes me so mistaken, may I ask,
In simply asking you for what I'm owed?

Marguerite
A plague on you, you loud-mouthed lunatic!
It's clear your mind has lost all clarity
And you are stumbling in a mist of error.
(Marguerite shoves Jasper so vigorously that he staggers)
Indeed, you are demented, quite insane!
Oh, were I not a female, slender, frail,
And quite devoid of brute ability,
(she shoves him again)
I'd bravely bind you up for you're quite mad.

Jasper (regaining his balance)
I must insist you pay! I must! I must!
Marguerite (advancing on him)
Oh, such a sterling way for you to act,
So suitable for such a man of stature:
Wild-shouting loud and moon-touched accusations
As if to carry to the clouds above.

Jasper (moving back)
Well, strike me dead if ever I, again,
Give credit to a customer of mine.

Vulpes (mockingly in broad Scots)
Oh, whare ye be, my guid, guid gauld?
I canna, canna mair ye hauld.
An' nae mair, nae mair in my e'e,
Will ye glitter, rit sparklin'ly.
I canna, canna mair ye hauld.
Oh, whare ye be, my guid, guid gauld?

Jasper (backing further as Vulpes and Marguerite advance on him)
The dark-souled devil! Why he's sneaking off
Into far regions of the other world
With all my lovely cloth beneath his arm.

Vulpes (didactically)
Oh, Renard, red-brushed, vulpine visitant, distant,
On verges of the vision, keeps fine guardians
Of fowl domestic ever vigilant-
Yet on occasion time’s spinners favour
Celerity of instant, brash obtrusion.

Jasper (turning to Marguerite)
What utter nonsense is he uttering?

Vulpes
Ach, seh' ich Renard, kluges Füchslein!

Jasper
How does he gabble in so many tongues?
It seems the murkiest, strange matter that
I've ever stumbled on- mad-minded frenzy.
Yet by the sun's sane light, I was so certain
He visited this morning, feverless,
And full of wit and sense and healthful spirits-
As whole as any in the seeing day.
Could he be so transformed before light’s eye
Has even started sinking slowly towards
The westward line of golden dusk?

Marguerite
Do you
Believe me now at last?

Jasper
I do not know.
But there is surely something most amiss.

Vulpes (grabbing a broom and using it as a witch's broomstick)
I'm mad, I’m mad, mad as the mottled moon;
I'm mad, I’m mad, mad as the rushing broom!
With pure nonsense sense finds no debate.
So pray, do not quodlibetificate!
Kadarabraba, kadarabraba! So!
A fortiori, a fortiori ! Oh!!!

Jasper
Good lord, he's sinking fast! That spluttering,
Wild-whirling witchcraft's moony, midnight madness,
Was certainly no normal speech.


Marguerite
It must
Be near the hour now when the holy father
Should visit him, I fear, one final time.
The dreadful clock will strike, the hands will fall,
And that, for him will be the end of all.

Vulpes (dashing around)
Good day, good day, good day, good sir, to you.
Pray, deliquesce before delirium!
And oh, good holy pater, how we caper.
Tell me, good sir, good sir, what is the matter?
Are you, good sir, just fat and getting fatter?
So gooselessness is my good comity,
My thinning help, if you can follow me!
Ahhhhr!

(Vulpes sinks to the ground with phoney death rattles)

Marguerite (flinging herself on Jasper)
By all the sacred powers above- he's dying.
He's dying now. See, see! His living breath
Is leaving him. His mouth is frothing so.
And I shall be alone; left all alone,
Alone, poor me, alone and sorrowing.

Jasper (hastily extracting himself)
I'd best be off before he leaves this life.
He would not want me witness to the last
Confession of his sins. Please pardon, please,
Good lady, I have made some sorry error-
May God forgive me!

Marguerite
And amen to that.
May God forgive his sorry wife as well.

Jasper (crossing back to his shop as Marguerite continues to mourn over Vulpes)
Some pretty puzzle all of this has been.
Perplexing to all sense and reasoning!
He seems, indeed, doomed in grave illness, just
A few, bare inches from that final threshold
That none would willingly be crossing. Yet,
If it be so and he were not the one
Who came by buying but a while ago,
Who was it then? His double as disguise?
He’s twinned by none, I'm sure, in all the world.
(Jasper pauses, struck by a sudden idea)
Oh, no! Oh, no! Alas, alas, I know!
For now I think on it I’m sure I’ve heard
A dark, side whisper on such things- that is
That when some sinner's in his final hours,
The ancient enemy of good may steal
His customed form and walk abroad to add
More final weight to his soul’s troubling load,
Thus piling more bad deeds upon his name.
But even if this be an honest tale,
Why choose my mind as victim to deceive,
False-featured in a dying lawyer's form?
I never have been haunted so before;
Nor dogged by demons or dissembling visions.
Although… it could be warning that my craft,
My double-dealing ways, will drag me down!
Well, what the devil's taken let him keep!
I do not wish to fight him in the deep!
(Jasper exitsvia his shop, shaking his head)

Vulpes (bouncing up)
How's that? We’ve rid ourselves of one fool draper.
His mind's so mottled by my seeming madness
He'll wake as like with nightmares from his sleep,
And leave us quite alone till later times
When I've recovered- miracle to sight,
And vanished cloth has vanished in time's night.

Marguerite (agreeing)
Oh, yes. I think that's surely cooked his goose-
Well done both sides. Was not my part true-played?

Vulpes
It was a fine and natural performance,
In playing more persuasive than are most
Upon the creaking stage. Indeed, my dear,
No clever critic could distinguish it
From actuality- you acted out
So smooth a simulacrum of real woe.
(Vulpes looks about carefully)
I do not think we’re called for curtain call,
And so we take our own performing fee-
The cloth for clothes for both of us for free!
(Vulpes takes the bundle from under the bed and tosses it to
Marguerite. Pulling a curtain to hide the interior, they exit.)



No comments:

Post a Comment