Friday 21 November 2014

The Fox's Reward- A Verse Comedy Scene Two Act One

Vulpes visits Jasper, the draper.


ACT ONE SCENE TWO
The same. The Draper still putting out wares.

Jasper (happily to himself)
Another sun-spun day filled with fine promise,
The joyful promise of good profit found
By fleecing foolish customers. As ever
My plans are purposed to perfection, for
My shepherds shear four-footed sheep, while I
The woolly-headed ones who wish to buy.
(Jasper continues to arrange cloths. Vulpes enters top stage right. He pauses.)

Vulpes (musing)
First I consider need. What weaving hue
Best pleases free and flighty fancy’s choosing?
Should it be spread of light, heart-soothing blue,
Like wide and airy sky's infinitude?
Or white as is the carpet of fresh snow
That biting winter lays on all below?
Or maybe flame-brave red of sunset's gown?
Or sober beauty of an earth-born brown?
Perhaps the calm and growing garb of green,
Of grass and forest, draws regard when seen?
(Vulpes starts to cross over.)
For Marguerite, say, two yards and a half;
For me, let's see, a happy three or more...
Say, possibly a generous four...that is,
That is, in sum…
( Suddenly realizing he is at the draper's)
God-given day, good friend!
And how spins life with you, good Jasper, now,
Upon this bright and merry-minded morning?

Jasper (with a falsely melancholic air)
So, so, good Vulpes. Yes; so, so. You know
I am not bitter-mouthed. I am not one
To carp at life with hard-complaining tongue.
Yet still it forms no simple task to find
Necessities in these most narrow times-
These times when opportunity's a beggar
At tight-faced circumstance's door; these times
When we who once were proud of purse must watch
That we don't fall and pass to common poor.
But that’s enough of weight and worry’s way.
How's life with you? You seem spun light in spirit.

Vulpes
Indeed, my friend, that’s so. My spirit’s light
Because my pockets pull so golden-heavy.
I do not doubt your keen, fine ears have caught
The whisper on the gossip of the winds,
Soft rumour of my recent win: the case,
Word-wise with wit, I won some weeks ago.

Jasper
No, no. Can't claim I have.

Vulpes
What! Really? Well,
Tales of good fortune travel on tired feet,
While those of ruin ride on fiery steeds…
But nevertheless that bodes for me no bother.
I do not wish to bar my fortune's state
To curious and common gaze. Still, how's
Your health, my friend, how goes the living power?

Jasper
Oh, holding, saints be praised, still holding out.

Vulpes
Good faith be praised! Just as your father flourished!
He never knew an hour of wasteful illness
In all the bustle of his days. Now there,
I say, there was a proper one for you!
(Vulpes peers at Jasper)
And now to see it… now to look at you,
You are the very pattern of your pater,
His very likeness. Yes, he was a rare,
Old raven. So much like you. God save his soul!

Jasper
Amen.

Vulpes
Yes, many were ripe times when he
Held forth upon the future course of things…
A shrewd and crafty one he seemed to be!
The "weather-vane" we named him, for he ever
Would swing to point the way the winds were blowing.

Jasper
He was a tough but honest business man
And people liked to buy from him, you know.

Vulpes
Yes, many's the time I took from him myself.
Oh, he was one to trust to his own judgement.
But spins it not with wonder! You possess
The firm set of his mouth, his scheme of eyes,
The ears acute, that bravely searching nose.
Was ever father blessed with such a double.
Oh, even his blunt chin. Remarkable!
So many merry times we listened to
His moral tales or shared a harmless jest.
If there breathed more like him they'd live more trust,
Less thievery and low conniving.
(Vulpes starts to finger some cloth)
My, my,
A brave cloth you have here. So soft and strong.

Jasper
It's very fine. A weave from my own sheep.

Vulpes
I'd spun no plans to purchase such as this
On this particular, life-praising day.
Yet this close-woven cloth is excellent-
Most truly tempting to the eyes and touch,
Most rightly pleasing to a true discernment.
Such blue-hued beauty shines as praise to that
Most careful craft that forms the dyer's art.
Jasper
Like any work of gleaming craftsmanship
It's rather costly… you can understand…
But for a family friend…

Vulpes (interrupting)
Indeed, you know
It fires special fancy at first sight.
My case has gifted my poor purse with eighty
Gold-gleaming coins and I can see that you
Are sure to share in some of their abundance.
The colour- ah, like rarest art for vision!

Jasper
Good, golden coins. Well, if I cut it hard,
Just for a family friend (it's worth more, mind you),
Perhaps I’d let you rob me for, let's say,
Just four and twenty shillings for a yard.

Vulpes
What! Four and twenty shillings for a yard!

Jasper
By all that's tall in truth, I tell you this-
It costs me all of that just to replace.
Vulpes
Oh, that amount amounts to much. Too much!
For though I’ve moment’s wealth I cannot waste,
Like rough and spendthrift winds that shake gold leaves
From autumn trees to leave a winter bareness;
So I can’t spend without clear thought on cost
And end too soon with rubbing empty hands.

Jasper
Perhaps you don’t appreciate how prices
Have soared beyond the safety of all sense.
So many beasts expired from cruel frost
Or fell before the lash of blizzard fury,
This long, ice-bitter winter past, so many!

Vulpes
But surely we were blessed by hours of sun
On many chains of golden days that cheered
The mildest season which I well-remember?

Jasper (quickly)
Oh, no. Oh, no, my friend. For on the far,
Far higher fields it showed another face:
A winter wild and heightened by the heights.
Those slopes were ever slashed by wind so harsh
It was itself like knives of ice unseen,
With long, long nights that froze each singing stream.
And thus, in certain consequence, all costs
Have rapid-climbed like sudden storm’s arising.
Yes, it has been misfortune’s very making
And I have found my loss more than I feared.
Why, fleeces that once cost but seven shillings
Are now worth twenty. That's the open truth.

Vulpes (grandly)
Be that the nature of our costly days,
Then I shall buy. One must accept the changes
Of proper circumstance and passing time.

Jasper
Amen. That is a truth. How much have you
A fancy to be taking for your needs?

Vulpes
Let's see- four yards for me, some for my wife,
Let's say- two and a half, and with the hat
Let's guess at seven.

Jasper (measuring the cloth)
Thus I’ll start true measure.
If one's the sun above- that shines on you
Then that is two… and also shines on me
Then that is three…then earth below, what’s more,
Is four… and air that keeps us all alive
Is five… while life’s a mix of many tricks
And that is six… yet still we ever hope
For high reward in heaven… so that’s seven!

Vulpes
No doubt you’re well aware that honest care
Proscribes a slipshod measure that’s not strict.

Jasper
Perhaps you'd like it taken once again?

Vulpes
No. Worry not. For one must always lose
Or gain a little in this dealing world.
How much therefore is owed in total now?

Jasper
Well, seven yards at four and twenty shillings,
Just let me reckon rightly for a moment…
(Jasper fiddles with an abacus)
That is one hundred and eighty eight in all.
(Jasper cuts the cloth)

Vulpes (after calculating for a moment)
One hundred and sixty eight, I think you mean.

Jasper (pushing back two beads on abacus)
Oh, yes. Of course. Quite quickly rightly reckoned.
I cannot think what made me stumble so.

Vulpes
Fine, fine. Of course, for simple safety’s sake
I do not bare such large amounts with me.
I had not planned to purchase such a prize
When I set out upon this shining day.
So sooner started, sooner done. I shall
Return as fast as reasoned, fair intention
Is able to instruct my willing legs
With sparkling pockets filled with settling coins.
(Vulpes makes to go, but suddenly stops as if struck by an idea.)
No, no. I’m blessed by better thought than that.
You've never caught excuse to call on us,
So here's a golden chance for you to change
And taste of timely hospitality.
Come share some juicy goose and bubbling wine-
A good chat and a filling midday meal.
You surely can't refuse me that.


Jasper
A drink?

Vulpes
And goose. My wife was roasting fine, rich fowl
When I set out to greet this friendly day.
To taste the truth, I feel this meal will be
A favour of true flavour for the tongue,
A gift, a feast, a marvel for the mouth.
Indeed, you’ll find your goose well-cooked, I fancy.

Jasper
All right. That reasons well with me. Meanwhile
On your return please ready worthy money
And I’ll be pleased to take your pleasing offer
And carry your most-splendid cloth with me.

Vulpes
Oh, no. Oh, no. No problem there, my friend!
(Vulpes scoops the cloth up under his arm)

Jasper
No doubt your meal will draw my many thanks
As table’s bounty tasting of the best.
Yet now, my dear, old friend, you must allow
That I should bear the burden of this cloth.
(Jasper tries to take back the cloth)

Vulpes (evading him)
No, no, dear friend! I must insist that I
Shall save you all the labour of this load.
(Vulpes stops suddenly and looks serious)
Or do I here detect a drop of doubt?
Trust is that high-born virtue, that which binds
This turning world in harmony- or so
I’ve ever felt and thought. Indeed, I fear
I cannot carry out my buying trade,
If there's no trust between us now, dear brother.
(Vulpes offers back the cloth )

Jasper
Do not believe that I have no belief
In honest dealing, dearest brother! Of course,
I trust you truly for I know you know
That I would never fear default, for I
Trust I would always find a way to reach
An owing purse. The law is guarantee
For honoured traders such as I. So see
The counted gold is gathered there for me.

Vulpes
In truth, all worthy pay shall come to you.
Yet first you shall full-marvel at your meal.
You know, your father never passed our place
Without familiar greeting: "How go your stars?"
Or "what is stewing now, you crafty rascal?"
Ah, well, I must be off. See you at noon.

Jasper
All right, dear friend. I’ll be with you quite soon.
In fact, I smell sweet-roasting goose already.
Still please be sure my rightful money's ready.
For if it's not, dear friend, you'd best beware,
I'll drag you to the court and when I'm through,
I’ll end up wringing twice as much from you!

Vulpes
My friend, my friend, feel not the slightest fear.
All you deserve will doubtlessly appear.
(Jasper exits via his shop)



No comments:

Post a Comment