Sunday 23 November 2014

The Fox's Reward- Act Two Scene Two

Jasper arrives for his meal and his money.



ACT TWO SCENE TWO

Music. The same. Towards midday. Jasper comes out of his shop, dressed for visiting.

Jasper (talking to himself as he crosses over)
No doubt his gleam-rich stash of doubtful gold
Is hidden well away from prying fingers-
Most likely loot that he has lifted from
Some ready fool who fell for sly-spun words
Or else extracted by some other means
Not open to right law’s strict-searching sight.
Still, that’s no matter to concern my mind.
The gabbling cheat was green enough to pay
His four and twenty coins a yard for cloth
That never will be worth an honest twenty.
(Jasper knocks at Vulpes's door- in mime at invisible wall.)

Jasper (loudly)
Hello there, master Vulpes!

Marguerite (appearing at the "doorway")
By heaven’s call,
Sweet patience lend a softness to your tone.
If you've some death-bed message to deliver
Let it be lulling-low. He must be shrouded,
In his most troubled and repentant time,
By restful weave of hushed and soothing peace.

Jasper (still full-voiced)
The mighty grace above us save you, madam!

Marguerite (firmly)
Good sir, I ask you to diminish voice.

Jasper (stepping forward)
By all that's good, now what is going on?

Marguerite (wringing her hands)
Oh, please, good sir; oh, please, please pity him!

Jasper (pointing)
Just tell me this one thing: is he within?

Marguerite
Where else?

Jasper (Jasper starting to move towards door)
Good, good. You see, I've come to see...

Marguerite (blocking him and interrupting with a fierce whisper)
That poves my point. My poor dear man's within;
At home with me, at home till his last moan.
Who else in this uncaring world would care?
The wounded bear bolts for his darkened cave.
The stricken fox hides in his furtive den.
Poor soul, he's lain here, wasting, six, long weeks,
Six weeks of weakening and worry's burden,
So fragile-ill he cannot even rise.
Jasper (stepping back a little)
By all the great and watching powers above...

Marguerite
Please widen ears, sir, for I mustn't lift
My voice. The luckless devil's all done for.
Past sins, like many ghastly spectres rise
To haunt him, and life's thread draws thin.
Indeed, he's but a ghost himself, a pale
And willess wraith, his wits deserting him-
A drifting relic of his former self.
Jasper
Who's this? I mean, whom do you mean?

Marguerite
                                                                  Why sir,
I mean, truth told, my man, good master Vulpes,
That once-famed lawyer, lost to fortune’s gaze,
Now broken by the turn of time’s great wheel,
My own, my only one, my dearest husband.

Jasper
Good master Vulpes, your own dearest husband?
He just took seven yards of cloth from me!

Marguerite (with phoney wonder)
What's this you say? My dearest dear?


Jasper (advancing on her)
                                                              Yes, yes,
I'm telling you, but some short time ago.
By all the sacred saints, this is too much!
He owes me for those yards of finest weave.
Do not false-play me! Seek not to deceive!
My money or my cloth, good Mistress Mischief.


Marguerite (throwing up her hands)
What crazy-minded stuff is this you’re talking?
Is this, perhaps, some stupid prank you’re playing,
A tasteless, teasing trick, a cruel game?


Jasper
Believe me, Madam, oh, believe me now,
I’ve no intention, not the mildest urge
To spin some silly freak of foolery.

Marguerite
Then why appear and burden my poor heart
With childish, untrue tales about my dear?

Jasper (impatiently)
Look, no more joking!

Marguerite
What! What! No more joking!
What fooling, fool, do you imagine here?
Is this the time for tossing wanton words?
Is this the day for jibes and witless jesting?

Vulpes (within, rolling on the bed and groaning)
Ahhhh!

Marguerite (advancing on him)
Hear that! Hear that! The poor dear's nearly done.
I doubt he'll live to see another sun.
Yet you come here and plague me with your lies!

Jasper (backing off a little, then advancing)
No! No! This is dark madness or deception:
The very demon of absurdity.
By reason’s beams that, sunlike, shine upon
What stands as real, respond and pass to me
My money now or else my precious cloth!

Marguerite
Your money or your cloth? What words are these?
Such speech is wild and whirling, without sense.
Go play your childish pranks upon some fool
With time to humour you, you chattering ratbag!

Jasper (indignantly)
My words bear perfect patterning- they witness
The simple evidence of my own sense.
The good, high Lord of Heaven strike me dead
If I'm not owed the rightly-reckoned sum.

Vulpes (within)
Ahhhhh!

Marguerite
Be gone. I'm in no mood for mindless banter.
Go on, be off, you crow! Go flap your wings
And soar. Go caw at someone else’s door.

Jasper (folding his arms)
That's quite enough; enough good Mistress Mayhem.
Please ask good master Vulpes to appear.
I wish a present, private word with him.

Vulpes
Ahhhhh!

Marguerite
The black fiend take you! What! Disturb him now?

Jasper
Yet surely truth's call calls you to admit
This is the very dwelling place of Vulpes.
This here- his very house, his very land!

Marguerite
Indeed. We're not all sense-bereft like you.
So please, please lower your proud, lofty bellow;
Please moderate your mighty, ringing tone.

Jasper (advancing towards the door)
The devil swallow it! By all fair dealing,
I’ll speak here as I feel that I should speak-
To place my point each sentence rightly seeks
Full-needed sense and sound. No more; no less!

Vulpes
Ahhhhh!

Marguerite (taking his arm and dragging him back)
May Heaven save us! Soft, speak soft and low,
Or else your very violence to the air
Will snap the dwindling thread of wasting life.

Jasper (shaking her off)
Soft? soft!? You wish me whispering to you?
Or signalling in silence with my hands?
Perhaps we'd have a quieter conversation,
As you reveal all things to be reversed,
If I stood on my head to speak to you.

Marguerite (throwing up her hands)
You always were an endless chatterbox.

Jasper
One of us, madam, has lost the mind's clear light
And wanders, woeful, in unreasoned night.
I'll quieten down when you treat me to truth-
Your patient took my yards of cloth for cure.

Marguerite (indignantly)
I wish some wrathful wind would carry off
All those whose careless speaking so infests
The reaches of the world-caressing breath.
You pompous prattler! You accusing ape!
You jesting jackass! He has lain, bed-bound,
Six weeks! Six sorry weeks! Be off with you!
Leave us to lonely worry… leave us be!
I’ve trouble here enough without your fooling.

Jasper (flinging up his hands)
You ask soft speech from me, yet loudly beat
The very bounty of the air yourself?

Marguerite
With you upon their threshold, frothing mad,
And spewing forth these false-lipped allegations,
Who would not feel inflamed and briefly fall
Into a sudden bout of thoughtless shouting?
Jasper (attempting to advance again)
I'll go if you just give what's due to me.

Marguerite (raising her fist)
I'll give to you what rightly is your due!

Jasper (quickly)
If that's the case- I think I'll take my coins.
Just place them in my palm and we'll forget
All trouble over this or that.

Marguerite
What coins?
Do you believe we should be billed for your
Fantastical and fevered fantasies?
Do you suppose we owe you gold to go;
That we should greet your hand with gain to leave;
That we should pay so you depart in peace?

Jasper
Well then, no gold- I’ll take my cloth instead.

Marguerite
What cloth? You're always speaking of this cloth!
The only cloth my poor heart will be using
Will be his white and tight-wrapped winding sheet.
Unplug your ears, you blockhead! Understand!
Just see the simple sense my words display.
The only way that he will leave this house
Will be, that is my certain fear, head first!

Jasper (vehemently)
Yet I just met him now this very morning;
This very morning talked and sold him cloth!
He seemed as full of heart and healthy spirit
As any man could wish to be!


Marguerite (finger to lips)
Sssh! Sssh!
Will you start speaking softly? Yes or no?

Jasper
As I’ve remarked already your denials
Sound louder on the innocence of air.


Vulpes ( within)
You wicked, sinful woman, let in light!
Who are these black and hooded people here?
Oh, mamacrama! Mamamamacrama! (ah as in father)
Away! Drive them away! Away, I say!

Marguerite
Defy the crafty, wicked one, my Vulpes.
Beat back the clever demons of delusion.
Keep sharply gripped to your own sanity!

Vulpes (within)
Oh, can't you see what I can see? Look there!
A black, back monk is winging through the air:
A bat-faced beast, his robes are all outspread!

Marguerite (to Jasper)
Now do you see? He's gone again. I hope
This fills your heart with happiness and joy.
Your crazy speech has sparked his haunted spirit;
Delusion grips the marrow of his mind.

Vulpes (coming out, wrapped in a sheet)
Who's there? Who's there?
(Vulpes pretends to take Jasper for the doctor)
Oh, doctor, doctor, oh,
I have been ill; so very, very ill,
So very, very, very ill, dear doctor;
Oh, doctor, do not make me swallow more
Of that black, bitter, biting medicine!

Jasper
What's all of this to me, my dear, old friend?
It's only four and twenty coins a yard,
Just four and twenty that I need from you.

Vulpes

I’ve got three hard, black pieces here, good doctor.
You call them pills? They nearly break my jaw!

Jasper
You've still to give me twenty-four a yard.

Vulpes (dancing around)
Oh, twenty-four! Oh, twenty-four no more!
Give me but twenty-four to live: one day
With hours enough now to repent my ways!

Marguerite
See! See now how he's lost again! By all
Far, twinkling stars that ring the night, they ought
To string up interfering fiends like you!
Go on! Get going! Be off with you, you devil!
Go! Lift those flat and foolish feet of yours!

Jasper (stubbornly)
By every beneficial force that guards
The great unfolding of our days, I won't.
I won't be off without my cloth; my cloth
Or all the settled coins I’m rightly owed.

Vulpes (scrabbling at Jasper, so that Jasper starts backing away)
Oh, doctor, doctor dear, oh, dearest doctor,
I greatly fear I have brought up so much
That I might simply fade away, like smoke,
Dissolving off into the endless distance,
The wide, wide, living stretches of the sky.

Marguerite (to Jasper)
Must you forever go on mouthing madness
About your phantom cloth, tormenting him
When he’s so troubled, tried; so nearly gone?
Who dreams delusion in a greater measure?
Who lives illusion more now? You or he?
However, you are sound enough while he
Walks in delirium, approaching death.
He stands before its dark, dark door. Oh, surely
It is enough to leave him thus, caught in
The crushing coils of serpent misery?
A thousand times I say- he's been this way
For six long weeks imprisoned in a bed.

Vulpes
A bed! O restful bed! Where is my bed?
(Vulpes totters off, back to bed)

Jasper (shaking his head)
How's all this happened since we met this morning?
For surely, surely we did meet this morning
And made brave bargain... or at least, I think...

Marguerite (with sympathy)
Perhaps you fell into some phantasy of sense.
You overwork and weariness confuses thought.
Your mind is tired and misconstrues plain truth
And takes to dreaming through your open eyes.
Soon feebled vision fails and so you find
You're spinning out all sorts of spectred scenes.
Heed good advice- go rest a little while.

Jasper (uncertainly)
Yet I saw certain sight, as certain as
The sun on high... are you preparing goose?

Marguerite (indignantly)
Bright stars above! Oh, what a thing to ask?
Is that fit food for feeble invalids!
Go cook a goose yourself, sir, if you want one!

Vulpes (from within)
Ahhhhh!

Jasper
I beg you, please don't think my visit vile;
I really thought...and I still do, indeed...
Indeed I do...I swear I'll find my cloth...
(Jasper moves towards the door but changes his mind)
But if I'm wrong how crass my part will sound.
How all the town will point to me as he
Who like some madman would demand the dying
Pay fee for his own fevered fantasy.
This wretched wife of his, with all her wailing,
Has muddled morning's simple certainty.
I know he nabbed my cloth- and yet it seems
He's tortured by some terrible disease.
I wonder if it's caught with ease? No, no;
I know short-past he hailed me hale and whole...
That is, I think he is...that is, this morning...
Can I, perhaps, be dreaming some strange dream?
Where meaning means not what it seems to mean?
It could be so, for if awake would I
Give my good credit to a dog like him!
Oh, hang me high for lending him my trust;
For now I can’t break through confusion’s wall-
I cannot clearly catch this thing at all!
(Jasper goes back to his shop, shaking his head and exits)

No comments:

Post a Comment