Thursday 27 November 2014

The Fox's Reward Act Three Scene One

Back at his shop Jasper accuses his shepherd William.


ACT THREE SCENE ONE
An hour or so later. Lights dim. Slight musical interlude(Renaissance or Medieval lute would be possible). Lights come up.
Jasper before his shop.

Jasper (to himself)
All lies, deception, fraud, and trickery;
I'm just quite overwhelmed- no!- drowned by falsehoods!
It's open house on all my property,
And every devil saunters in and takes
Whatever catches fancy's eye. I seem
Catastrophe's own king, the emperor
Of woes, misfortune's very majesty.
For first I find that some shape-stealing fiend,
Some profit-lifting and unpaying spectre,
Purloins my precious cloth and vanishes,
Perhaps, who knows, to burn it in deep hell.
Then what fate follows on? Now I uncover
What soft suspicion murmured to me true-
That even my own shepherd steals from me,
He whom I’ve ever paid quite well… oh, well,
He whom I’ve mostly paid. Yes, even he
Has turned to hidden treachery, no doubt
Advantaged by my trust. But he, by heaven,
Shall not escape from this unscathed! He'll pay!
I’ll pour the law’s full fury on his head.
He’ll curse the day that he conceived deceit!
Oh, yes, indeed! Yes, he shall curse the day!
(William the Shepherd enters)

William
            Good afternoon, good afternoon to you,
My goodly master. Bless you, dear, old master.

Jasper
So shepherd, you are here, you low sheep-stealer.
What have you to confess about your crimes-
The disappearing of my precious fleeces?

William
Beg pardon, sir. It is about... about,
About some things this fellow said to me.
He said you sent him as...what was it now?..
A bailiff... that was what it was. He was
A rather wild, untidy fellow, sir,
He gabbled something that I didn't catch
In all clear fullness of its proper meaning-
A lot about you, master, and a thing
He called, I think it was, a summons, sir.
He kept on babbling, Lord knows what he meant,
About the court, about your sheep, and what
You had been saying, Master.

Jasper
                                                    Yes, I sent
The bailiff with a summons for your sins.
I’ve caught you with your catch and now the court
Can catch the tale of your sly guilt. Prepare
To face the righteous wrath of law’s revenge!
You won't forget this lesson in a long time!
I'll teach you to take cloth... I mean to say,
To steal my sheep.


William
                                          Good master, sir,
What's this about some cloth? I seem to see
Some stinging thorn has angered and annoyed you:
I'm scared to speak, so stormy is your gaze.

Jasper
You bother me! Be gone! But just remember,
You wolf in shepherd’s dress, you wild dog’s whelp,
To drag your sorry hide to court at four.

William
But surely we can settle this alone,
Good master mine. What use are courts to us?



Jasper
Be off! Be gone! There is no more to add.
A wise, clear judge can do the settling now.
I cannot let such guilt pass lightly by!
If I do not stand firm, a proud defender,
Repulsing all attacks from frauds and swindlers,
I'll surely end the laughing stock of town.
(Jasper storms back into his shop and exits)

William (to himself)
My master is now past appeal to peace.
His single mood's a frenzy of revenge.
I'd best scout round to find defence and arm
My worth with someone else's sturdy words.
Now let me think! What lawyer’s near and known
For cunning craft and clear, bold speaking? Yes!
The hire that I seek's not far to find.
I know the one to fit the form. I'll see
If master Vulpes will speak up for me.
(William starts to cross towards Vulpes’ house)









No comments:

Post a Comment