Monday 24 November 2014

The Fox's Reward Act Two Scene Three

Marguerite and Vulpes discuss their deception and realize that Jasper will return.



ACT TWO SCENE THREE
The same. Marguerite outside watching Jasper go. Vulpes comes to the door and whispers.

Vulpes
So has that sneaking son of an abacus
Gone yet?

Marguerite
Hush, hush, you fool.! Get back to bed.
For if, by sudden chance, he did return
And found you strolling round with such a look
Of health and satisfaction like some fox
Whose furry belly’s fat with farm-bred fowl,
I’m sure he’d see with but a single glance
Right through the whole of our well-played pretence.

Vulpes
Still, nonetheless, by all the shining shields
Of all brave-hearted, dragon-slaying knights,
We really shafted that coin-hoarding reptile!

Marguerite (laughing)
You should have seen the stunned bewilderment
All-featured on his face as he was leaving!
His mind was so divided that his vision
Was seeing truth and falsity as one.

Vulpes
            Now by the patron saint of cheats and rascals,
Whoever that may be, stop laughing, dear!
For now I ponder it, you were full-right,
He may return at any present time,
And if he heard your laughing ringing out,
Our trick so fine would flame in smoke and fire,
Its slyly-crafted edifice consumed
By seeing truth’s incendiary, bright eye.

Marguerite (giggling)
Oh, dear, oh, dear, I'd stop if I were able!
(Marguerite puts her hand to her mouth to stifle the giggling)

Jasper (coming to the door of his shop)
Now by the glorious sun that lights our eyes
And brings night-hidden truths to every view,
I'm bravely going back to battle that
Light-fingered lawyer and his lying ways.
A little, golden nest egg, did he say?
I'll hatch those hidden eggs or hatch a case.
For, by Saint Jude, I know he's got my cloth.
Now I'm back here, recovered to clear mind,
I trust to proof of memory and reason;
And thus I know with knowing’s certainty
That he absconded with his woven booty,
Tight-tucked beneath his healthy, thieving arm,
This very day indeed- indeed he did!

Vulpes (urgently to Marguerite)
Stop laughing, dear! He may bounce back, you know.
Indeed, my very marrow tells me so.
For he’s of stubborn, thick and solid stock
And will not be put off by just one shock.
(Vulpes shepherds Marguerite inside)















No comments:

Post a Comment