Sunday 14 December 2014

Second half of first scene of The Scholar From the Other World


(CURIO BOWS, AND WITH SACK AND ALL, EXITS LEFT, HURRIEDLY)

BRIDGET (LOOKING AFTER HIM)

Well, may the Lord look after you,
And make sure that you travel true;
And may He speed you to the sky,
To carry my dear gifts on high !

(TO HERSELF)

Well, what a wonderful, strange thing !
Who would have thought last evening
That I would meet, just passing here,
A traveller from heaven's sphere !

(ENTER BRIDGET'S HUSBAND, TOM, FROM THE FIELDS, RIGHT)
TOM

Well, well, my Bridget, I must say
That you look happier today.
Now what on earth has pleased you so ?
Come, tell me, dear; I'd like to know.
So don't be shy, I won't resent it.
You look more blissful and contented
Than my brown cow that strayed away
And ate the cabbage yesterday.

BRIDGET

I've got a message from the sky.
Oh, Tom, I feel I'm floating high,
So full of joy, rejoicing so.
Can you imagine it ? You know,
It's such a wonderful, strange thing,
I hardly know where to begin.

TOM (SUSPICIOUSLY)

Who hit the mark this time, my dear ?

BRIDGET

How shall I tell what happened here ?
How tell the wonder story ? How ?
A scholar wandered by just now,
A scholar giving good advice,
Who came here straight from.......paradise !
Imagine that ! Just now, today,
From another world, he came my way.
Not only that, he knows my old,
Past husband's dear, departed soul,

(SHE POINTS)

Up in that distant land, you see.
And he explained to me that he,
I mean my other man, you know,
Goes poorer than the poorest go.
He hasn't even got a shirt
Or shoes or anything of worth-
He only owns there what we gave
When he was given to the grave.
He has got nothing there but that:
His winding sheet and his blue hat.

TOM (WITH GROWING SUSPICION)

And you, my dear, saw nothing wrong,
But sent some things to help along ?

BRIDGET

Oh yes, oh yes, indeed, oh yes!
How clever, dear, of you to guess.
I sent a nice, warm coat for him,
Some good, strong trousers, tough and trim;
A good, warm shirt for him to wear,
And good shoes for his feet up there;
Some golden coins to buy some beer,
Or was it wine ? I'm not quite clear-
I sent them all to my poor dear.
That clever scholar from the sky
Will take them to him, by and by,
When he returns to paradise.

TOM (THINKING FURIOUSLY)

H'mm....yes, that's good, that's very nice,
But tell me, which way did he fly
That blesséd scholar from the sky
Who took you in, I mean to say,
Into his confidence; which way
Did that thieving, I mean, believing soul,
That one, my dear, who went and stole-
Who took, that is, some of our savings,
My hard-earned gold from my hard slaving;
I mean, the gold and clothes, you know.....
Just tell me, which way did he go ?

BRIDGET (POINTING LEFT)

He went that way, in greatest haste,
He said he had no time to waste;
St Peter would be severe with him
And possibly not let him in
If he were late for paradise.

TOM ( GRIMLY)

No doubt it's hard to get in twice.
I hope his haste was not so great
That had time to quite escape-
I mean, I hope hasn't flown before
I give it to him-

(THUMPS HIS FIST IN HIS PALM)
er, give him more;
You see, you didn't give enough
To right display our dearest love.
Up there you cannot live in style
With that much gold for any while.
I'll take some further gold to him.
Go, quick, at once, fast as the wind,
Prepare a horse for me to ride.

(BRIDGET EXITS RIGHT)

TOM (TO HIMSELF)

And when I reach our scholar's side,
My fist will sanctify his hide,
And my thick boot will help him fly
A little faster towards the sky;
Thus he may get to heaven's door
More quickly than he bargained for.

(BRIDGET RE-ENTERS)

BRIDGET

Oh Tom, my dear, just by the way,
Do not take wrongly what I say,
I hope you're not upset at all
That I have had this heavenly call,
And that you don't misunderstand
My affection for my other man.
This kindness of yours I'll repay
When you've gone too some future day:
When your frame rests within the ground,
I'll send you presents, heaven-bound.

TOM (EXPLODING)

Enough ! Our golden friend may be
Soon out of reach for you and me !
Go, ready my horse and hurry now.

(BRIDGET EXITS)

TOM (ALONE)

Oh, what a wife, by all heavenly power !
There's not her like, both far and wide,
Throughout the whole, cursed countryside.
She's probably unique on earth !
As innocent as at her birth.
Enough to make a grown man grieve:
There's not a lie she'd not believe !
Search where you will, you will not find
Another of such a gullible kind.
She falls for any strolling swindler
With any wild, chance tale to spin her;
And now, by Peter's sainted beard,
She's tripped again, just as I feared !
A wandering scholar from paradise-
How could she fall for that device ?
And this professor from the sky,
Armed only with this crazy lie,
Has made off with my precious gold;
I've never known a thief so bold !
Well, I shall really make him grieve,
This swindling spinner of make-believe !

(ANGRILY)

Yes, I shall find this false divine,
And show him quite another sign !
I'll ride till I catch up with him,
And beat him on his holy skin;
Oh, he'll remember me, all right,
For many a sore and sorry night !
And I'll recover gold and all.
When I get home, then by St Paul,
I'll teach her to discern what's true,
I'll teach her to see clearly, you
Do not believe all madcap tales.
I'll make her see… until she wails
Admission of her crass stupidity !
For otherwise she'll ruin me.
Why did I wed her anyway ?
I curse the hour, I curse the day.
I would have been much happier
To catch the creeping plague than her.

(BRIDGET RE-ENTERS)

BRIDGET

The horse is ready now, my dear.
Be quick ! Be off, away from here !
Be our good bearer, briskly-bold,
To take to him some greater gold.
Fly like a storm, like a lightning-flash,
And carry him some further cash !
And all the best of luck to you;
And may the Lord be with you too !

TOM

Don't worry dear, I'll go right now;
And, guided by some heavenly power,
I'll find him with the fastest speed !
I'll help fulfill his greatest need;
I'll seek him out, I'll be unswerving,
I'll give to him what he's deserving !
And I shall speed him on his way
To paradise, without delay !

No comments:

Post a Comment