Tuesday 2 December 2014

The Fox's Reward Act Four Scene Two

The last scene - the court scene where all is resolved.






ACT FOUR SCENE TWO

The scene opens and lights come up. We discover the judge's bench, centre back. A stool is down stage left and another middle stage right. Vulpes strolls down to the left stool and sits.

Vulpes

So I am first, before the general crowd,
With grace of time to don mind’s armoured might;
Lift up my luminary shield of words
And wield the shining sword of sharpened wit…
(He pauses)
Well, so speaks pride perhaps, still I expect
I shall not have much fighting, heavy-hard;
I’m sure this battle will be easy-won.
For, as I thought, our man is that old fool,
Judge Jeeble of uncertain, forceful judgement.

(Judge Jeeble enters. Vulpes rises. He takes off his hat)
God bless your Honour this good afternoon,
And may He grant you all your heart desires.
May He provide prosperity and health,
And bless you with abiding fortune’s fullness,
And speed all worthy plans to sweet completion.
For surely Justice is entirely safe
When weighed with care in your most patient hands.



Judge Jeeble

You’re welcome, master Vulpes. Pray, sit down.

(Vulpes sits. Judge Jeeble leans towards him)

What prompts appearing here this afternoon?
Have you some busy case to bring before me?

Vulpes

I have no slippery problem to pursue,
No knotty matter to undo, Your Honour;
Indeed, no purpose but to look and learn,
To watch, attentive in humility,
The workings of true wisdom as revealed
In all your Honour's just and reasoned judgements.

Judge Jeeble (with a slight cough)

Yes quite. Indeed. Then you may sit and study…
And may I say, in all due modesty,
To view should bring a benefit to those
Who wish discovery of law’s great depths.

Vulpes

As usual, Your Honour sums the matter
With penetrating and succinct precision.

(Vulpes sits. Seeing Jasper enter stage right, he quickly conceals his shock. Meanwhile, the judge is arranging his papers)

Vulpes (aside, in a whisper)

Oh, hell and heavy weather brewing up!
How unforeseen, a change can turn the tale
And sudden danger dash all hopeful plans,
Reducing reason’s architecture to
A pile of rubble with an instant blow!
Why did I not demand that shepherd give
His master’s proper name! I could have known,
I should have known; in truth, I would have known
That Jasper is his vengeance-minded master,
May curses rain on his arraigning head!
(Vulpes tries to hide his face under his hat)

Judge Jeeble (banging his gavel)

This session of the court is sitting now.
If anyone has matters here today,
Please bring them forth at once. I wish no wasting
Of public time and money at this bench.
Besides, I want to take my dinner early.




Jasper (bowing slightly)

My counsel's coming soon, Your Honour, sir,
Some minor but inevitable muddle,
Some bit of bother not to be put off,
Has just delayed him for the merest moment;
And so, Your Honour, I would be so grateful
If we could wait a minute longer for him.

Judge Jeeble

I’m sorry, but I cannot alter custom.
The law does not digest delay; it dines
At its appointed hour, not trading time
To make convenience for tardy minds.

(William, looking shabby, enters over near Vulpes. The judge produces an hourglass which he turns over and places on the bench)

And so I’ll waste no running sands in wait,
For we have but late afternoon’s brief leave
To balance and to settle all affairs,
Here in this town and its far-farming lands.
Hence not to be too wordy in my weighing,
I make immediate my judgement’s worth,
(I’ve already mentioned once) and call
For all of you to reckon readiness.
Indeed, in all my time upon this bench
I’ve never favoured those who plead delay,
Nor those who waste the court’s small-given hours
With pompous and pontificating speeches
And obfuscate with false elaboration,
Propounding this, expounding that, as though
To speak at great unnecessary length
Were guarantee of rightful victory…
As if the very weight of gathered words
Must sway the scales of justice in their favour…
Ah, yes. Oh, let me see. Where were we now?

Jasper (helpfully)

Not wasting time, Your Honour, sir.

Judge Jeeble (banging his gavel again)

That’s so!
Thus, let us hear your matter straight away.
You are, in fact, the plaintiff, I presume?

Jasper

That is of truth, Your Honour, sir. I am.

Judge Jeeble

Who stands defendant, to deny your charge?



Jasper (pointing to William)

Your Honour, that's the fellow I'm accusing.
He's still and silent, trying to put on
Pretence of simple-minded innocence,
Like some lost lamb that lingers by the fence.
Yet he has done much wrong to ponder on;
And rather is a ravening, wild wolf
Whom I mistook for tame, flock-guarding hound.

Judge Jeeble

Enough! He is not guilty till true law
Pronounces such to be his doom. Proceed.
Since you're both present, state your case.

Jasper (with a bow)

Well, as Your Honour wishes so, I shall
Proceed to take the matter to myself,
As now it seems my counsel’s late and lost.
No matter, I shall make clear meaning shine…
I wish to charge him with all this... (Where is
That paper? Ah, yes, here it is.)

(Jasper rummages around in his pockets and produces a paper. He reads.)

As it
Is seen as true before both God and man,
This thief, this scheme-rich and fleece-scrounging scoundrel,
Whom I've assisted since he was a suckling,
Whom I have ever paid for honest labour,
Was put in charge of half my precious flock,
And he has made such secret selling that...

Judge Jeeble (interrupting)

To speak it clearly- did you always pay
Set wages for his shepherding of sheep?
That is, was it a right-inscribed agreement
To which you both agreeably agreed?

Jasper (puzzled)

Agreeably agreed, Your Honour, sir?

Vulpes

Your Honour, if I may suggest a way…

Jasper (recognizing Vulpes)

The heavens strike me blind if it be not
The very man I want! It's you- yes, yes!
My eyes are witness to that open truth,
No shadow doubt obscures this- it's you!
Oh, see, just see- he’s even wearing it!






Judge Jeeble (looking over to Vulpes who is holding his hand to his face,
trying to conceal himself)

What? What? He’s even wearing what?… Dear me,
Good master Vulpes, gripping grief appears
This instant to have fastened on your face.
You seem attacked by sudden slash of pain.
Have you been waylaid by that grim assassin
Who stabs the tender mouth when least expected:
The dreaded toothache?

Vulpes
Truth to tell, Your Honour,
I find myself caught by a trying pain.
But I shall find a cure. Let's proceed.

Judge Jeeble (to Jasper)

End off your story. Keep to clarity;
Like crystal waters in a placid lake
Through which we view the basis of your cause.

Jasper (excitedly)

It's him, it's him, I say. It's him, I know,
And no one else. He is no spectred shape,
No demon from the shadow deep. Oh, no;
He is of solid form, the one who stole
My cloth, who stole my seven yards, my good,
My good, good yards of finest, bluest cloth!

Judge Jeeble (to Vulpes)

What is he saying? What is this about
Good yards of cloth?

Vulpes (shaking his head)
I cannot guess, Your Honour.
His frantic words are filled with wild confusion,
Like storm-stripped leaves whirled through the tearing air.
He seems to lack the plain ability
To find clear meaning in this mind or speech.
Jasper (grabbing Vulpes by the sleeve)

He’s wearing it, Your Honour, don’t you see?
May I be taken for a long-eared ass
If he is not the one!

Vulpes (shaking himself free)

What are you saying?
The one, the one of what, you raving fool?
What will this madder-by-the-minute man
Be claiming next in his speech-firing frenzy?
And yet, and yet I think I do discern
A tiny, gleaming grain of meaning here-
This muddle-minded fellow, so it seems,
Believes this shepherd stole some wool from which
This cloth that I am wearing has been woven.

Jasper

Just tie me up and lead me to dry straw,
If it's not true, as I stand truly here,
That you...that you have got it all yourself!

Judge Jeeble (banging his gavel)

Stop! Stop! We must have silence in this court,
So sense and point can reappear from it,
Replacing all confusion of loud speech.
(There is silence and the judge looks around)
Now that brings better harmony of mind-
A better order for our further finding.
(Judge Jeeble turns to Jasper)

Hear my command: just try to cease this witless,
Wild wandering from your tale's telling way.
Don't waste fair time with mad irrelevance.

Vulpes

Your Honour's pardon, but, for all my aching,
I cannot keep from smiling just a little
To see such tanglings of absurdity.
For like some comic seeking laughter’s praise,
He has so muddled up, in mad confusion,
The clear narration of his case, I'm led
To wonder if it brings a point at all.
Yet if, like Theseus, we seek a thread,
A single strand to guide us wisely through
The rambling labyrinth of his strange thought,
With its most monster-hearted accusations,
It seems that it must be to do with sheep.

Judge Jeeble

Quite right! Quite right! Let us return to sheep.
What happened next?


Jasper

He took the lot back home-
All seven yards of splendid, new-spun cloth.

Judge Jeeble (banging his gavel)

Now listen here and listen hard! Do you
Jeer at my judgement; think I’m merely jesting;
Just joking when I ask for you to speak
With single, set, and simple purpose now
About the issue of your sheep?


Jasper

The sheep?
The sheep? Oh, yes, Your Honour, sir, it's just...

Vulpes (interrupting)

Your Honour, I know nothing of this case,
Yet even so I see this matter’s murky.
So if I may break in and be so bold
As to suggest a path to clearer vision...

Judge Jeeble

Yes, yes! Of course! Indeed, please forge ahead.

Vulpes (pointing to Jasper)

To judge but by his speaking, it appears
This draper is a fine one to bring charges
When even his attempts to right-express
The simple substance of his allegations
Is quite beyond his power of declaration.
But nonetheless, it seems to me that we
Might drive a straighter, swifter way into
The hidden core of this entangled quarrel
If, by your leave, we were I allowed to try
Examination of the shepherd's story
And see the viewpoint of the so-accused.

Judge Jeeble

Good. Very good. A fine suggestion that
May bring sweet sense to bitter chaos. Proceed.

(to Jasper)

You may be seated, silently for now.

Jasper

But, but, Your Honour, sir….

Judge Jeeble
At once! Sit down!

(Jasper sits)

Perhaps this shepherd's tale will spin more sense.
Come here, good fellow.

(Judge beckons William)

Give your point of view.
(William comes forward)

Well, speak!


William (as if puzzled)

Baa, baaa!

Judge Jeeble (banging his gavel)
What's this? What's this? Do I
Hear rightly now? Did he say "baa"? Now look,
No fooling now. Come, clearly speak.

William (forthrightly)

Baa, baaaa!

Judge Jeeble

You'd better not be making fun of us.
I shall not tolerate distain for all
That rightly stands embodied in this court.
So do not think that you can play the fool
Or I'll have you in irons for your contempt!

William (cringing)

Baa, baa!

Judge Jeeble (banging his gavel)

Enough of all this anarchy!
I will not have law’s honoured institution
Mocked by some madcap, hayseed jest.

Vulpes(hurriedly)

Perhaps,
Perhaps, Your Honour, if I may suggest,
That that may be in no way his intent.
It's rather, I suspect, that he was born
Without the basic wit for normal life.
And in this witless state he’s grown an exile
To human company and comprehension;
And so, while even standing in this place,
He thinks he's still among his rams and ewes.
Jasper (turning to Vulpes)
You! You! What utter nonsense you are mouthing!
You took my cloth! You stole my splendid cloth!
Your Honour, sir, you don't know what a trick...

Judge Jeeble (banging his gavel again)

Be quiet! Quiet! What? Are you raving mad?
You have been ordered more than once. Forget
This mania that’s fastened on some cloth.

Jasper (excitedly)

Most humbly do I beg Your Worship's pardon.
It's only that this whole, well-schemed deception
So fills my heart with fierce, fierce anger's fire
All other thoughts are scorched to ash. If I
Let him escape today, Your Honour, sir,
He'll find some way, some underhanded means,
To slip the net and so get off quite free!
You see, Your Honour, sir, as I have said
Already more than once, I gave him cloth...

(Judge Jeeble lifts his gavel)
All right, that is, about the stolen sheep,
I beg your pardon, sir...this crafty fellow,
Who's suddenly decided he's struck dumb,
This shepherd who was meant to shield from harm,
And then he said he'd surely pay me later,
No, what I mean is that the shepherd here
Has been three years...he said, good, golden coins,
No, he had sworn to guard the flock and do
No mischief... yes, if I came to his house...
Oh, what I mean to say is that they're going
To get away with all of it- the cloth,
The coins, the sheep, denying everything...
Just look at master Vulpes there, I swear
He's grinning to himself in secret now,
I mean, he sold the sheep and took the coins...
And when he had the cloth he hurried off
And said that I should come and share some goose.


Judge Jeeble

A goose?A goose? There's not a thread of reason,
In all this raving, ranting carry-on!
I mean, what does he mean? First it's all cloth,
And then it's sheep, and where do gold coins fit?


Vulpes

I'm sure the trouble is that he holds back
This poor and simple shepherd's rightful wages.

Jasper

You'd better shut your lying mouth! Oh, no-
Not you, Your Honour, sir! I want my cloth,
I want my cloth or money! You and I,
Yes, you and I know where the shoe is pinching.
Judge Jeeble

What shoe is this?

Jasper

Oh, nothing, sir, I'm sorry.
But he's the greatest cheat you’d ever find
In all your living days… I mean, Your Honour,
I'll do my best to keep quite quiet.



Judge Jeeble

We do
Not want your silence. We want your story, told
In plain simplicity and ordered sense.

Jasper

I'll do my best to keep to one clear line...

Vulpes (interrupting hastily)

Now at this point may I point out, your Honour,
That this young shepherd here should still be able
To help illuminate the dim confusion
Which veils the tale of this demented draper.
However, it seems clear this simple shepherd
Cannot reply with reasoned clarity
Without the careful aid of guiding counsel.
Now be this pleasing to Your Honour, sir,
I would be truly glad to proffer help,
To spark in him true speech, encouraging
A calm and clear relating of his case.

Judge Jeeble

Help him? I doubt if there's much profit there.

Vulpes

It's not the clink of coins that I am after.
It's just to see true justice done, Your Honour.
I'm sure the poor fool needs assistance if
He is to answer in a rational
And normal, sense-related manner here.

Judge Jeeble

All right. By all that’s sane, give it a try.
We’re heading down the road to reason’s ruin
By following our present course.

Vulpes

My thanks,
Your Honour. So I shall proceed. Come here,
My simple friend. Come, give a plain reply-
You comprehend why you are here in court?

William (shaking his head)

Baa! Baaa!

Vulpes

Now listen! Hear and have clear answer.
So what does "baa" betoken? Are you trying
To say a word but can't get past the start?
To barter in barbaric barbs or bask
In barbers' barley baskets- all start so.
Is any one of these the word you're wanting?

William (loudly)

Baa! BAAA!

Vulpes

All right, all right! Be calm! Attempt
To tell the court and our good judge all that
Occurred to cast you in your current case.

William (mournfully)

Baa!

Vulpes

What's all this "baaing" all about? Are you
Alive up there, up there beneath your hair?

William (questioningly)

Baa? Baa?!



Vulpes

You think you're still out in the fields,
Beneath the gentle sun and free, blue sky,
Among your softly-grazing flocks?

William (softly)

Baa, baa.

Vulpes

Come, simply answer yes or no.



William (soberly)

Baa. Baa.

Vulpes

Now listen- did you sell some sheep or not?

William (earnestly)

Baa, baaa!



Vulpes

Whatever are you saying now?
Now surely you don’t think we're shaggy rams?
Be warned. Our judge is sharp and shrewd and not
Some sleepy, woolly-headed, sheepish beast.
Speak up! Speak up!

William (loudly)

Baa! Baa! BAA! BAA! BAAA! BAAA!

Vulpes

The man's completely bleating mad, Your Honour.
It's evident he's kept sole company
With speechless rams and ewes for far too long;
And like the changeable chameleon
Whose outer hue grows true to its surroundings,
As green to leaf or brown to rough-barked trunk,
So he has grown to think and speak in sheep.
He's even crazier than the crazy draper
Who senselessly wild-spins wild accusations,
And who has brought a crazy case against
A fellow even madder than he is!

Judge Jeeble

Stop! Stop! It's quite enough to split one's skull!

Vulpes

Your Honour, may I recommend this shepherd
May just as well return to mind his flock.
It would appear to any observation,
That weighs behaviour with a sober sense,
That he is not a person of sound mind
Who may be held responsible for all
His actions as true-reason-guided deeds.
We'll get no more from him- a total fool.

Jasper (furious)

A total fool is he? By all that's holy,
He's sharper-witted than you are yourself.

Vulpes

May I just say, Your Honour, if it's useless
And hateful to harass a half-wit, then
Far more may it be said in this sad instance.
Thus to interrogate and sternly press
For clear-set answers that can’t be returned
Is far, far crueller with a quarter-wit,
Like this poor, feeble-minded shepherd here.

Jasper (to Judge Jeebles)

Is he to leave before you hear my case
And rightly validate my valid cause?

Judge Jeeble

Since he is feeble-minded, yes- why not?

Jasper

But surely you will hear my case, Your Honour?
For simple justice asks- demands you should.
I may have seemed confusion’s very child
But that was not through malice or deception
Upon my part but rather rascal-breath,
Through boldly-spoken, plausible deceit
That bars admission of the basic truth,
Has so upset my sense and stable speaking
That I have not explained my case at all.

Judge Jeeble

No more of this mad, idiotic prattle!
This argument of fools is quite enough
To burst one's brain. Now listen here, if you
Come butting in once more I'll clear the court.

Jasper

Then you'll dismiss my simple, honest plea?
And you'll not listen to my case again?


Judge Jeeble

What, what! Take heed of warning given. You
Are trespassing upon last patience now.

Vulpes

And if it please Your Honour, I object.
He wants to draw us by the nose through all
His reasonless, wild rigmarole again.
This shepherd is, Your Honour, there's no doubt,
The fullest fool you'd ever chance upon;
And this, his madman master, muddles all.

Jasper

And what about my cloth? You're just… not honest!

Vulpes

He's growing madder with each passing minute.

Jasper

I recognize your voice, your clothes, your face.
I'm really very sane, Your Honour, sir.
Just let me straighten out this crooked story.



Vulpes

I must advise your silence. You've been warned.
I wonder that you do not blush with shame
To bring this case of false, wild accusations,
This litany of crazy lies, against
A harmless son of earth's simplicity.
Why, even just suppose, suppose for sake
Of purely-illustrative argument,
He sold a sick, decrepit ewe, not worth
A couple of brass pennies, what of that?
He's earned the worth of that and plenty more
While watching sheep in every weather known,
In fearless guard against ice blizzard’s rage
And stealth and fury of night-hunting wolves.

Jasper

You see, you see, Your Honour? Do you see?
I speak of cloth and he replies with sheep.
Where is the cloth you spirited away?

Vulpes

What! Would you choose to wrap a man in chains
For one old mangy fleece? Be calm, man, calm.
This violent animosity against
A poor, weak simpleton who may have made
One honest error, ill becomes you here.

Jasper

The devil must have prompted me to sell
My lovely cloth to such a cunning cheat!
Your Honour, I demand...


Judge Jeeble (banging his gavel)

I acquit the man!
And I forbid you further prosecution.
What has this witless world of ours become?
Preferring charges against an imbecile-
A ridicule and right absurdity!
If you're so poor-informed of your own trade
That you permit a mindless idiot
To labour for your profit and increase,
You must digest the fated consequence.

(to William)

You may go back now to your flock.

William (with delight)

Baaa! BAAA!

Judge Jeeble (to Jasper)

And you have shown the sort of man you are!

Jasper

But sir, I only wish...

Judge Jeeble

Be quiet, by heaven,
Or I shall lay a charge on you myself.

Jasper (pointing to Vulpes)

But, but Your Honour, sir, Your Honour, sir,
This is the man I really wish to charge;
His clever chatter's cheated me, Your Honour.

Vulpes

I really don't know why he's raving on.
I hardly know the man; and I recall
No act of mine that's done him injury.
I must suppose that he has caught a mania
For prosecuting people...and, just having
Lost victim one he's trying for another.

Jasper

You're such a liar! Sir, just let me speak...

Judge Jeeble

Oh, very amusing, I must say! Must you
Forever rave so, flaming with confusion-
Your wretched racket battering our ears?

(Judge Jeeble rises)

And so, good day to one and all. And now
I'm going home.

( speaking to William)

Be off, poor friend. You're free.
You are acquitted. Do you understand?

William (nodding)

Baa, baa.

Vulpes

I think he's giving thanks, Your Honour.

Judge Jeeble (to Vulpes)

Both muddled, mad, impossible, you know.


Jasper

Is this, this justice? Your Honour, sir, I beg...

Judge Jeeble

Enough, enough! My dinner's waiting! You
Grow tedious like some annoying fly
Whose buzzing path disturbs the busy brain.
Away! A pox on you! Away! Be gone!
I'm going home! Be off! You bother me!
Come, Vulpes, come and dine with us tonight.

Vulpes (holding up his hand)

My toothache, sir. Much as I’m flattered by
Your kind request, I fear you must excuse
My most reluctant, sorrowful refusal.

Judge Jeeble (gathering his papers)

Yes, yes, of course. Well, parting let me give
All thanks for bringing order to this bedlam.

Vulpes (bowing)

A simple pleasure; but I must object
And say: Your Honour’s wisdom was true cause.


Judge Jeeble

Well, well. Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps it’s so.
The clearer eyes will always find the light;
The wiser mind will always reach the right!
( Judge Jeeble exits)

Jasper

You thief! You low, conniving double-dealer!

Vulpes

I think, dear sir, you have mistaken me
For someone else, less reputable... perhaps
You're thinking of my twin, my double, Lupus.
Sometimes, in fun, he borrows name and figure,
But he's a swindler; I'm a lawyer, sir.

Jasper

Don't think you've heard the last of this, you dog!
I'll find some way to pay you back in kind!

(to himself)

And in the future I’ll be less inclined

To grasp with greed each seeming chance I find.

(Jasper exits)

Vulpes

Farewell, old feather-brain! Well now, good William,
Did I not serve you proudly now?

William (enthusiastically)

Baa, baaa!

Vulpes

There is no need to go on bleating now,
For you can shed the sheepish show, you know.
We spun a pretty devious defence
And made tough, binding rope from slender thread.
Was not my counsel most successful?

William (nodding)

Baaaa!

Vulpes

No one can hear us now. No need for fear.
Resume your claim as reason’s creature here.
Discard the beastly noises of pretence.
You can regain the wonder power of speech-
So marvellous for indicating truth,
So useful for concealing it as well.

William (shrugging)

Baa, baa!

Vulpes

Well, as you will. It's time for me
To lift my heels and head for home. Perhaps
You'd like to settle this and pay my fee.

William (in pain)

Baaa! BAAA!

Vulpes
No, no. There is no need to act
Your part of wordless fooling now! Come! Come!
Cough up a pair of golden, gleaming discs,
Two metal suns, and we are done!

William (in greater pain)

BAA! BAAAA!

Vulpes (coaxingly)

Now, now; you played your sheepish part with real
Finesse, all solemn-faced and foolish-seeming.
A fine and simple-sounding mimicry
It was indeed! It really had them beaten!

William (cheerfully)

Baa, baaa!

Vulpes

Why bleat to me? It's over now.
Let’s go and celebrate the swift success
Of our dumbfounded trick, our wordless ruse.
Devour roast goose while downing giddy wine!
What do you say to that?

William (eagerly)

Baa, baaa! Baa, baaa!

Vulpes (angrily)

Enough performing of your farmyard farce!
No further fooling now, my bleating friend!
I have fulfilled my role in our sharp practice
And now demand we settle and be gone!

William (puzzled)

Baa, baa?

Vulpes

By Mercury’s light-winged, wise ways,
Have you forgotten all the help I've given?
Ungrateful wretch! I'll have your stinking hide!

William (pretending to cringe)

Baa, baaa!

Vulpes

Enough of all this sheepishness!
If you think this is some strange, rustic joke,
The fun is finished now- you've had your laugh.
So just regain your reason and your speech
And pay me what I'm truly owed.

William (shaking his head)

Baa, baaa!

Vulpes

By all the powers above us and below,
You sneaking, underhanded, little thief!
I'll have the bailiff on you right away!


William

Good master, surely you'd not prosecute
A poor and harmless simpleton, would you?
That would seem far too mean for even your
Repute. You cannot go too far, TOO FAR!
Baa, baa! Baaa, baaa! BAA, BAA! BAAA, BAAA! BAAAA! BAAAA!

(William runs off laughing)

(Vulpes starts to run after William, but thinking better of it, stops)

Vulpes (staring after him)

By all that bluffs and bothers and bewilders,
The rascal’s right! I cannot catch him now.
(Vulpes pauses and sighs)

There was a time I fancied that I was,
Without a single doubt, the lord of cheats
Of all the regions hereabouts, the king
Of tricksters, jesters, and all scheming wits.

(with a shrug)

But now a young fox has outfoxed the old.
Yet I've the cloth and Jasper has no gold.
And I did win the case, although the pay
Was not the best that's ever come my way!
Well, there’s an end. The players leave the play;
Soon night will dawn- then dawn will bring new day.
Now all I need's a way to be discreet
In explanation to my Marguerite.

(Vulpes exits, thinking feverishly)

Lights fade.
THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment