Friday 19 December 2014

The Scholar from the Other World First Part of Scene Two


TOM EXITS WITH BRIDGET BLOWING HIM A KISS)
(THE SCENE DARKENS. SOME RENAISSANCE MUSIC)

SCENE TWO
WILD OPEN COUNTRYSIDE. A DIRT ROAD. (THIS CAN BE JUST A BARE STAGE WITH CURTAINS AS A BACKDROP).
OFFSTAGE THE SOUND OF CURIO SINGING. HE ENTERS ON THE RIGHT, CARRYING THE SACK.

CURIO (SINGING)
Oh, Curio in name and curious in mind,
I've left my foolish benefactor far behind.
Oh, Curio in name and curious in mind,
Through spinning foolish words I've really had a find.

CURIO PLANTS THE SACK ON THE GROUND, AND WIPES HIS BROW.

CURIO

By all the saints in highest heaven,
Today I'm more than breaking even!
For what a windfall I have here;
As long as I am in the clear!
Improper pedlar of piety
To wondrous gullibility,
I slip from poverty's rough curse
By finding of a heavenly purse!
Yes, this will likely last me through
The whole, cold windy winter too.
Fair fortune graces those who seize
The moment's opportunities.
Though I'll admit this type of break
Is mostly not such an easy take-
For folk of such naivety
Are all too rare, if you ask me.
She is a trusting soul, but she
Should study up theology.
Not many fools, without suspicion,
Would pay celestial commission.
But now which way am I to go?
Oh, let me see, I think I know.

HE LOOKS ALL AROUND AND SEES SOMETHING OFFSTAGE RIGHT

But what is this? What's this I see?
Far off, but coming up towards me?
A cloud of dust and at its head
A storming steed- just what I dread!
It tears along the road like rage
Rampaging toward revenge- a page
Of life's vast volume, let it be said,
That I would rather leave unread.
For if it's not her husband- well-
Then it's a black fiend, if you will,
For I have heard they often try
To stop a man from rising high
And reaching paradise at last.
Now goodly sack, lie there. Stay fast.

HE PLACES IT BEHIND A ROCK ( OR TUCKS IT BEHIND A
CURTAIN)

Yes, stay good gold. Stay safely stowed!
He won't know me by my rich load.
He doesn't know me! There's my luck!
This swampy ground will slow him up.
Oh, yes, he's bogged. He must dismount.
Now change my character- I'll count
On cloak of false stupidity,
Pretence of reason's apathy...
My nature and my role reversed!
I'll seem, to angry eyes, quite cursed
By failing brains. Yes- that's the way.
A poor and silly fool today!

CURIO TAKES OFF HIS JACKET, TURNS IT INSIDE OUT AND PUTS IT ON BACK TO FRONT. HE CRUMBLES HIS HAT AND PUTS IN ON BACKWARDS.

Well, now that I am rightly dressed,
I'll see how I can answer best!

CURIO STANDS STARING AROUND STUPIDLY

1 comment: