Friday 12 December 2014

The Scholar from the Other World- a short folk comedy

The Scholar From the Other World is a short folk comedy that is a rewrite (not a literal translation) of a play by Hans Sachs in old German called The Wandering Scholar from Paradise. It also incorporates some elements from a similar European folk tale- Ero from the Other World. It is written in a rhyming meter similar to the Sachs play. This is the start of the first scene.




THE SCHOLAR FROM THE OTHER WORLD
a folk comedy




SCENE ONE
BEFORE BRIDGET'S HOUSE
A COUPLE OF STOOLS FOR BRIDGET AND TOM TO SIT
ON LATER IF WISHED

ENTER BRIDGET

BRIDGET (SINGING AS SHE SWEEPS)
Peasant girl, o love is bright,
He may come to you tonight!
Peasant girl, o love is sweet;
He may kneel before your feet.
Peasant wife, put love away,
He cares not for you today!

(WITH A DEEP SIGH)

How many sighs I sigh when I
Remember fond times now gone by;
How many sorry tears I cried
When he, my first dear husband died.
How good life was while he was here;
But now he's gone, the poor, old dear.
Oh, that I had not used another,
The first one loved me like a lover-
The second is a different matter!
Bad-tempered, stingy, hates all chatter,
And kills all humour in the house,
Quiet as a cat awaiting a mouse.
God bless my old love; I wish that I
Still had his cheer to help me by;
His warmth to hold to in the night;
He was a loving man, all right.

Still, things are as they are, I guess.
I can't forget him, nonetheless.
I hope he's happy up on high;
Oh well, I guess it's best that I
Pursue my work to pass the day.

(NOTICING SOMETHING OFFSTAGE LEFT)

Who's this who's coming up my way?
A stranger to these parts, I'd say.
How curious his clothes: I'd swear
He must be someone from a fair.

OFFSTAGE SINGING, ON THE LAST LINES, CURIO, DRESSED
RATHER EXTRAVAGANTLY IN THE STYLE OF A WANDERING
SCHOLAR, ENTERS

BRIDGET
Good day, good sir. May all be well.
Where do you hail from, sir? Pray tell.

CURIO
Good morning, fair mistress. Good day to you.
I'll make reply; I'll tell you true.
Well may my answer give you pause-
Far from this little world of yours,
Far from your earth-bound realm come I,
As if descended from the sky.

BRIDGET (WONDERINGLY)
What of your clothes ? I've never seen
The like in all the years I've been !


CURIO (GRANDLY)
You wonder at my odd attire ?
Well, I've arrived here from a higher,
Finer plane of living, so to speak.
Is that the answer that you seek ?
The other world of splendid towns,
Of golden rings and velvet gowns :
The other world of cities grand-
Another place, another land.

BRIDGET (EXCITEDLY)
The other world! O please explain.
Please make your answer clear and plain.
The other world ! Oh, is it true,
All this I hear, dear sir, from you ?

CURIO (POMPOUSLY)
The other world, indeed, dear soul!
Just let me answer plain and whole;
Just let me, pace tua, say:
From Paris lies my brilliant way.
A cat amongst the Paris mice,
I come from casting Paris dice.
I left not many days ago.

BRIDGET (STARTLED)
Left Paradise! You don't say so!
I wondered why you dressed so strangely.

CURIO (SMILING, DECIDING TO PLAY ALONG)
I departed from that realm but lately-
Yes, studying knowledge quite divine.

BRIDGET (URGENTLY)
I must ask after a friend of mine.
Within the last twelve months or so,
My first dear husband died, you know,
And left me on this earth below
To carry on life's joy and woe.
The dear, old thing quite passed away.
Did you, while on your heavenly stay,
By chance meet up with him up there ?
He was pious and proper, honest and fair;
I couldn't doubt, he was so nice,
That he flew straight to Paradise.

CURIO (PLAYING ALONG WITH MOCK SERIOUSNESS)
How many are the honest men
One finds up high in heaven when
One takes that final journey there.
Then tell me something of your dear,
So I may pick him from the crew
Of many dear folk that I knew.
How did he look ? What did he wear
When you laid him in the brown earth's care?

BRIDGET
Oh, let me see ! Just let me think-
Yes, when we lowered him over the brink,
He had a blue hat on his head
And winding sheet, as for the dead.

CURIO (WISELY)
Oh, yes, I know him well, dear soul.
But listen, secrets I'll unfold
For you alone ; no other must
Be let into this secret trust.
I knew your husband well, for sure ;
Though names are changed at heaven's door.
He had that hat and winding sheet,
But not the best, I must admit,
But nothing else to tell the truth.
For mostly even the greenest youth
Takes gold and clothes with him on high.
But yours slipped by the needle's eye
Most easily, so I believe.
He has no boots, or coat's warm weave,
Or decent trousers, woollen shirt-
Just what he took to mother earth.

Yes, he can set his old, blue hat
At a jaunty angle, just like that,

(HE DEMONSTRATES)

As often as he likes, it's true ;
And pull his thin shroud round him too ;
For when the others feast inside
He stays without, dressed as he died,
Still covered with his tatty shroud.
For only neat guests are allowed
To take high feasts in paradise.
So there he stands, and scratches lice,
With dirty nails, from matted hair.
With longing looks, he lingers there,
Lives on a little charity-
A somewhat sorry sight is he.
Yes, all he has to use and show
Is that little with which he went below.

BRIDGET
Oh, husband dear, is it too late ?
Are you in such a sorry state ?
Oh, haven't you a penny even
To have a good, clean bath in heaven ?
No decent clothes to wear up there,
In that far kingdom of the air ?
The virtue of your past life here
Did not do you much good, I fear.
Oh dear, oh dear, what can I do ?
There must be ways of helping you.

(AN IDEA STRIKES HER)

Good sir, perhaps you'll live there twice ;
And go on back to paradise ?

CURIO

I start my journey with the sun,
Tomorrow's dawn, and hope to come,
If nothing keeps me on the ground,
To hearing of the harp's fair sound,
When thirteen days have run their race ;
Always allowing for good grace.

BRIDGET
Would you be kind enough to do
One little thing for me ; would you ?
And do one heavenly good deed
To ease my dear one's dire need ?
When you set off again from here,
Would you take something to my dear ?
My new man's not so very poor ;
We've many goods within our store.



CURIO (WITH A SMILE)
I could indeed, dear mistress, don't worry,
I'll take whatever I can carry.
But gather it with haste, please hurry,
I've little time to talk or tarry,
For I'm a little late already-
If I don't reach great heaven's door
When I'm expected, then I'm sure
St Peter will be severe with me.

BRIDGET
I only need a few minutes free.
I'll go and wrap a joyful bundle
To ease his upset and his trouble.

(SHE EXITS RIGHT)

CURIO
A good and pious, simple soul,
By ancient Aristotle's mole !
She's never journeyed from her village :
A victim of a quick mind's pillage,
Her weak thought's troops fall easily.
Just quite the right fool type for me;
Coins and clothes for the legatee-
Fortuna favet fortibus.
But fortune favours boldness thus
When caution also adds its seal.
And thus I think I'd better feel
The west wind under my heavenly heel
Before her present man gets back-
A simple point of law, in fact;
I know it's recommended there
It's best to be the happy heir
Unto some dead man's noble share.

BRIDGET (RE-ENTERING WITH A SACK)

Oh, good sir, you'll be a faithful, true,
Swift messenger for me, won't you ?
I've raided my luck's little hold,
Ten polished crowns, all pure gold,
I've hoarded like the care mice-
Now he can pay for paradise.

(GIVING THEM TO HIM)

I'd stashed them in the cowshed there;

(POINTS RIGHT)

Against some such sad day of care.
And take this sack I've filled as well.
I've done my best there, truth to tell.
In there there is a woollen shirt,
To keep him from the cold wind's hurt,
A pair of sturdy shoes, near new,
A pair of leather trousers too;
All there together so that he
May stroll in heaven decently,
And not be evermore cast out
To wander ragged all about.
And, in addition, you will note,
I've slipped in there a lovely coat,
Embroided with a fair design,
Not velvet, mind, but still quite fine.
It'll look, I hope, quite sweet and nice,
In that far land of paradise.
And here's his leather purse to hold
The heaven's coins he gets for gold.
And tell him, tell the poor, old dear,
Next time you come to visit here
His thoughtful, faithful, little wife
Will have saved more things for his life
In that dear land of paradise,
To keep him fed and free from lice.
Oh dear, oh dear sir, I tell you true,

(WITH A SMALL SOB)

He was the dearer of the two.

CURIO (RE-ASSURINGLY)

Now do not worry, lady dear:
I'm sure all this will bring him cheer.
Yes, this will lift his weary heart,
And give his spirit a new start.
For now, on heaven's holidays,
He can join in our merry ways
And take a sip of the wine of the sky
With angels and blessed souls on high.

BRIDGET

How long, good sir, will it then be
Before you call again on me;
Before you float from your high home
And bring me glad word of my own?

CURIO (hastily)

It'll be a little while till I come by.
It is a hard, hard road from high.
To drop from heaven's paradise
To earthly lowliness here, twice
Within a short time's space, is so
Hard for me to arrange, you know-
To find a gentle fall, you see,
Just won't be juggled easily.
To get an earthly intermission
You need St Peter's good permission
And lots of other things like that;
He often simply knocks you back.
BRIDGET

Oh dear, the money may be done
Before you get a chance to come.
Then he'd be left without a way
To buy an ale to cheer his day.
He'll have no gold to see him by
To toast to friendship in the sky.
And so he will end up, I'm sure,
Quite as an unhappy as before.
But never mind, but never mind,
I am quite certain I can find
A way to save a little more
To hide beneath the cowshed floor
When threshing's done; just as before.
There, take this silver for your fee

(SHE PAYS HIM)

And greet him lovingly from me.
Give him my best when you get there,
And may your trip be free from care.

CURIO

Celestial thanks to you, dear soul.
May the Lord on High keep you well and whole !
May each night wash your soul of sadness,
And may each day bring you more gladness.
But I must be upon my way.
I must be off, without delay,
To reach, within my thirteen days,
The gentle light of heaven's rays.

No comments:

Post a Comment