Monday 26 January 2015

Scene Six from The Jester and the King


SCENE SIX

THE THRONE ROOM. AS LIGHT FOCUS TWO COMES UP, WE FIND KING FREDERICK AND QUEEN FREDERICA ON THEIR THRONES.


FREDERICK

Well now, my dear, the truth shall be
Revealed in all its clarity-
My messenger returns to me.
Now, once and for all, we shall see
Which one of our once-happy pair
Has flown forever from earthly care.

DODDERPUSS ENTERS

Come Dodderpuss, now did you find
Which one has left this life behind?

DODDERPUSS

Indeed I did, your Majesty.
It is. . .the wife, undoubtedly.

FREDERICK (SMUGLY)
Well, there you are, my dear, you see
It is the wife- undoubtedly!

FREDERICA (CROSSLY)
There's only one thing that's quite clear:
You're just told what you want to hear.
I won't rely on that old stick!
POINTING TO DODDERPUSS
He won't trip me with his weak trick!
You know he's only pleasing you-
You see, I know it can't be true.

LADY SMALLTALK ENTERS

Ah, Lady Smalltalk, I'm glad you're back;
On strictest oath, just give the facts.
So tell us all, now you've been round,
Just what is it that you have found.

LADY SMALLTALK (BOWING)
Your Majesty, just let me say,
The husband's dead, it's clear as day.

FREDERICK
As clear as day you say to me-
As dark as night it seems to be.
But those who hold the power of state
Must keep a clear head in debate.
And in all things clear wisdom sees
That true impossibilities
Just cannot be; and so must test
Alternatives to find what's best.
This foolish matter bothers me
With challenge of absurdity.

WITH SUDDEN DECISION

Thus I'll not let this matter be,
But lift the veil of mystery!
And so it is I'll find who's right
Or I'll not rest in bed tonight.

TO DODDERPUSS

Go; ready the fastest coach for me;
My queen and I shall go and see
If we can trace the golden thread
That leads to truth's clear fountainhead
Through all the muddy maze of doubt.
When we're both there we shall find out
This riddle's reason which unlocks
The single truth in paradox.

FREDERICK AND FREDERICA EXIT, LEAVING LADY SMALLTALK STARING AFTER THEM. LIGHTS FADE.







No comments:

Post a Comment