Tuesday 20 January 2015

The Fourth Scene from The Jester and the King


SCENE FOUR

THE THRONE ROOM
AS LIGHT FOCUS TWO COMES UP WE FIND KING FREDERICK AND QUEEN FREDERICA ENTERING AND GOING OVER TO SIT ON THEIR THRONES.
DODDERPUSS AND LADY SMALLTALK IN ATTENDANCE

FREDERICK

But Frederica, my own dear,
I'm telling you that he was here!
One's own good ears, one's own clear eyes,
Would seem fair witness to the wise.
What you relate ties riddle's knot:
What cannot be, can not- is not.
They cannot both be drawing breath
And silent in the still of death.
So dearest, I can only deem
What you relate a wakeful dream.
Let's please pursue some slight degree
Of sense and logicality.

FREDERICA

So like a man! He must become
Infallibility's own son!
While woman cannot have the wit
To read one line of truth's own writ.
No, Frederick, I'm telling you
That all I'm telling you is true:
She visited this very day.
Not three, short hours have slipped away
Since Greta came to me and said
Her dearest husband was quite dead.
All widow-worn and weeping-eyed
(Her man spent all before he died)
She'd neither gold nor jewellery
To see him buried properly.

FREDERICK

I understand you feel quite sure,
However, as I said before,
You must be dreaming, dearest one!
Quickfellow seemed quite overcome
When he set forth his woe to me:
And he produced a similar plea.

DODDERPUSS

Permission to speak, your Majesty.

FREDERICK

Permission granted, Dodderpuss.

DODDERPUSS (EAGERLY)
Perhaps I could. . .look into this,
And make a call of sympathy
To find who's really. . .dead, you see.

FREDERICK

Of course, why not? So it may be.
Go; bring the answer back to me.

DODDERPUSS

Yes, right away, your Majesty.

DODDERPUSS BOWS, SHOWING OBVIOUS EAGERNESS.
FREDERICK RISES, TAKING FREDERICA'S HAND

FREDERICK

Come, Frederica, we shall wait;
The facts shall soon end all debate.
And what is true then all shall see
As true in truth's simplicity.

FREDERICK AND FREDERICA EXIT, FOLLOWED BY LADY SMALLTALK

DODDERPUSS COMES FORWARD

DODDERPUSS (ALONE)
At last a chance has come my way,
Oh, perfect, pleasing, joyous day,
To catch that jesting ratbag out. . .
His tale is false, I have no doubt.
My nose detects a nasty pong;
I'm sure somehow that something's wrong!
I'll teach him to make a mockery
Of courtiers with his trickery.
Why should he be paid for idle days
Of laughter, jokes and jesting ways?
I'll pin him firmly in his place
And wipe the smirk right off his face
I'll foul this little trick of his-
I'll show what sort of man he is.

DODDERPUSS EXITS. LIGHT FOCUS TWO FADES.






No comments:

Post a Comment