Monday 12 January 2015

Second Scene from folk comedy The Jester and the King


SCENE TWO

THRONE ROOM. AS LIGHT FOCUS TWO COMES UP WE FIND KING FREDERICK ON HIS THRONE WITH DODDERPUSS ATTENDING HIM

FREDERICK

Does any courtier crave to be heard
For judgement by the royal word?

DODDERPUSS

Your Highness, none but a worthless, cunning sort.

FREDERICK

I have no worthless man in court.
Who do you mean, old Dodderpuss?
No- do not answer, I can guess!
My jester Quickfellow wakes your scorn;
Though but a harmless, pleasing pawn,
Untroubled by affairs of state-
A joker whose quick wits create
Diversions from the cares of power,
And laughter in a carefree hour.
And sometimes through light foolery
We see a truth more totally:
Our viewpoint's changed, we drop false pride
And see things from another side.
So what's he do to earn your hate?
Go now, and bid him enter straight!

DODDERPUSS (BOWING STIFFLY)
Yes, right away, your Majesty.

FREDERICK (ALONE, MUSING)
All foolishness and trickery
Does not come clothed in motley dress.
But often, like old Dodderpuss,
Parades itself with pompous airs,
Self-spun importance and proud stares.

DODDERPUSS ENTERS, FOLLOWED BY QUICKFELLOW

DODDERPUSS

Master Quickfellow.

QUICKFELLOW (BOWING)
Your Highest Majesty!

FREDERICK

Well, what is this? What's this I see?
A stooping grief, a face of woe,
A quivering lip, the eyes' moist flow-
No jesting quickens your mind today,
You look quite stricken by dismay.

QUICKFELLOW (WITH PATHOS)
I fear that sad news brings me here,
Your Highness, for I've lost my dear;
The only jewel of my days
Has vanished from my grieving gaze-
My dearest dear has left this life,
My dearest, darling, little wife!
My gentle dove has flown away
Into the endless blue of day!
My sweetest sweet, my only love,
Has gone to that vast realm above!
Yes, after all the best and most
Expensive treatment, stinting no cost,
My own good Greta passed away,
Most sadly, only yesterday.

FREDERICK

There is but one thought for your pain:
Our earthly loss is heaven's gain.
True faith can temper your distress
As time goes by. Consider this:
We all must die one day, you know.

QUICKFELLOW (HASTILY)
Ah yes, indeed, indeed that's so.
However, I'm still weighed down with woe;
The cost of trying to keep life's hold
On her has gobbled down my gold,
And I have nothing left at all
To give her decent burial.

FREDERICK (TO DODDERPUSS)
Go; give him some gold immediately.

QUICKFELLOW

A thousand thanks, your Majesty.

QUICKFELLOW BACKS OUT BOWING PROFUSELY. HE EXITS VIA ENTRANCE TWO. DODDERPUSS GOES TO FOLLOW HIM.

DODDERUSS (TO HIMSELF, ANGRILY)

More money for the thieving-bold:
A sorry tale becomes good gold!

DOODERPUSS EXITS

FREDERICK (WITH A SIGH)
And so my jester has no smile;
And will not have for quite a while.
The grim-faced, bony dancer bests
The laughing life of jokes and jests.

FREDERICK EXITS, SHAKING HIS HEAD. LIGHTS FADE.
















No comments:

Post a Comment