Saturday 17 January 2015

The Third Scene from The Jester and the King


SCENE THREE

QUICKFELLOW'S BEDROOM. AS LIGHT FOCUS ONE COMES UP, WE FIND GRETA SITTING ON BED

GRETA

I wonder how Quickfellow's faring:
With gold or trouble for his daring.
High in his growing tree of schemes
He's on a thinner branch of dreams.
In reaching for the last, gold apple
He must take care he doesn't topple.
He must not break what he has bent
With scheming that's too confident!

QUICKFELLOW ENTERS VIA ENTRANCE ONE, CARRYING A SMALL SACK IN HIS HAND. HE PLACES THE SACK ON THE BED WITH AN AIR OF TRIUMPH.

QUICKFELLOW

Much richer than I went, I come!
A perfect ploy, my dearest one-
IT worked just like s smooth scene played,
Perfected by the actor's trade
So I return, as I foretold-
A hundred pieces of pure gold!

GRETA (WITH A SMILE)
You think that's clever. Then see this.
SHE PULLS OUT TWO SACKS FROM BENEATH THE BED
Two hundred! Not a fraction less!

QUICKFELLOW

What! What! How did you conjure that!
You've really knocked my posing flat.

GRETA
A perfect ploy, my dear. You see
The mirror of your trickery;
I've twice supplied our golden lack-
Just your idea turned on its back.
I thought that two might try this scheme;
So went, sad-widowed, to the queen,
And told her of your cruel demise,
With quavering voice and tear-stained eyes-
And came back with the golden prize.

QUICKFELLOW (LAUGHING)
Oh Greta, you're really worse than me!
You've grown well versed in villainy.
A THOUGHT STRIKES HIM
By now our case gains complication-
Your news will carry no relation
To mine when their Majesties
Compare diverging destinies.
Two tales and neither of them true-
It's bound to mix a deadly brew.
I'd thought to prop up this pretence
While I dreamed up a good defence.
So now we have no time to waste,
We must be off in greatest haste.
The king and queen are meeting soon,
As usual, in the afternoon.
Let's hurry now and pack our things,
We needs must grow migrating wings.

GRETA

Yes, we must move immediately-
Time tells of tales' disparity.

QUICKFELLOW GOES TO GATHER THE SACKS, BUT GRETA WITH A SLIGHT PETULANCE TAKES HER TWO. THEY EXIT VIA ENTRANCE ONE, LIGHT FOCUS ONE FADES.




No comments:

Post a Comment